Monday, January 12, 2009

Do snake eyes look bigger than the stomach?

When living in the bush it's always a big surprise which wonderful creatures you'll meet on your way back home. In the few months I have been here, I have regularly seen warthogs, a family of jackals, giraffes, zebras, wild dogs, scorpions (including the Palabuthus granulatus: the most dangerous scorpion in the world, but wow so beautiful), pythons, kudus, impalas, steenbok, water buck, bush babies, monitor lizards, owls and many more special animals on my way back home. Last week I witnessed something incredible! A brown house snake had just killed a gecko, but didn't seem to have any idea how to eat it. Are snake eyes also sometimes looking bigger than the stomach??? I waited for hours to see how the gecko would finally be eaten, but unfortunately the snake worked hard on its meal without any progression. I finally left because I got so hungry watching this late evening dinner that I speeded home to cook mine! The next morning both were gone, so it will always be a mistery who ate who that night.

No comments: